Saturday, October 13, 2012

Shopping For Art Materials.

Greetings Everyone,

The time has come again that I need to stock up on a few arty things. Whenever this happens, I always get the urge to buy stuff that I may not really need. There are SO many types of paint, ink, pens to be found and as much as I love the pens I use now, there could be one out there that is a better. The thing is I'll never know unless I try right? 

But! My budget is not big at all, so I have to be sensible when I get new art material. So I made a pact with myself that whenever I need to stock up on the usual things, I pick one or two new arty things (depending on the price) to try out. It also forces me to think about possible future projects and what results I want to achieve with them. That way I know I will use it and it won't end up on my desk in the pretty packaging... unused.


So what do I do when I have to shop for art materials? Well, I read reviews. Lots of reviews. There are plenty of art review blogs out there, but one I always read is from Alberto Lung. His reviews, to me, are honest and straight to the point and it's a good site for reference if I want to get something specific. His blog is named Lung Sketching Scrolls. I love to read art blogs with reviews as it simply saves me time (and often money) to try and test out new material.

Quite selfish huh? But to be honest you do need some sort of strategy when trying out art material otherwise you can't give a solid review regarding e.g. light-fastness, flow of ink, pigmentation and so on. If I was to try out an art material my review wouldn't be as good as some of the sites on the web as it would simply be aimed at how I would use it and not for general use among artists. This said, I *do* have an art review waiting for the ones that are interested in the paint I use haha. Not sure if it will be helpful, but I had to put a few thoughts for myself on paper as the paint I use did give my art a new feel and quite a lot of people started to ask me about the paint I used now...so maybe it will help the interested ones in the decision if they want to get the paint? We'll see!


In general, I don't like shopping. I dislike how, especially ladies, can get all pushy and touchy in clothing stores. Please respect my personal space people! It's like the entire world is going to end if they don't get this special shirt, skirt...whatever. No offense to everyone who do like to shop a lot; it's just not for me ^_^

I do LOVE art stores, book stores, beauty stores (make-up pallets are often brilliantly put together when it comes to colors and textures) AND let's not forget food stores. I can easily get lost in one. Goodness. I do not want to think about how much art material I'd probably get when I do have more money to spend...or maybe I won't spend as much as I think. Over the years I kinda thought myself not to get stuff that I don't need. It is a waste of my money in the end you know. It's probably also one of the reasons I blank out in a store hehe. Seriously though. I often forget why I go into a store in the first place. Much to the annoyance of my sisters hehe.

But okay, my rambling aside, I wanted to shine a bit of light on Alberto. Do check out his site for the reviews, especially on pens, pencils & ink and if you're on Twitter...you can say Hi to him as well.

It's my grandad's birthday, so gotta run now!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I totally know the feeling when you mention your tight budget when buying art supplies. We artists have to pinch are pennies to live xD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha high five! Yeah, it's just that you do need like proper quality, especially when you're doing commissions. So no use in buying very cheap e.g. paper and paint, unless I need to experiment, but even then I rather use better quality stuff. I don't want a client come back after a few months and say "my painting discolored" The horror!!

      *waves*

      Delete
  2. I am scared about my holiday to the states for just this reason, so many shops that will be too dangerous for me!!

    I can't wait for you to do some more art supply reviews, hopefully with photographs AND videos :)

    Lund Sketching Scrolls does such an amazing job at reviews, so detailed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I knooooow! Hopefully Linda will keep you under control for a bit hehe.

      I will definitely do reviews, hopefully people will like them haha. Videos...ah good thinking! I was pondering yesterday about what else I could record besides only showing you guys how I paint haha.

      Gotta love his blog indeed ^_^

      Delete
  3. Hello TJ - I was just showing my daughter and her friend your website and saw this post. My daughter immediately saw the second picture and thought it looked like me...haha. That's not the first time I heard that about that picture.
    Anyhoo - I hate shopping too - unless it's for home items but then I like to find those items in old thrift stores or out of the way antique shops. People annoy me in normal retail establishments. ;-)
    Hope you find more wonderful tools to create your magic with - I remember how expensive art supplies can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It is so funny that she sees it too. I wasn't planning to capture "you", but I can't really control what essence I capture when I paint. I find it very cool though as I love that painting.

      Hehe. I can picture you in normal retail establishments, giving everyone the "evil stare" for annoying you...haha. I found some stuff...like wooden boards. I want to expand my range to wood and canvas, but need to figure out a few things first.

      Delete
  4. I love it when I find someone to rely on for good advice on what to get/not to get. It's so frustrating when you spend good money on something and it doesn't meet your expectations. As for shopping, itself? I liked it more when I was younger and thinner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cool huh? I've had it a few times that I just bought stuff on a whim and I ended up never using it and throwing it out...such a waste of money. Haha! I never really liked shopping.

      Delete
  5. Oh I totally get you, don't worry. I don't like to shop either. I mean, I do love it every now and then, but it's hard work. It's hard work because every time I have to spend even a dime on something, I act as if I have to buy a Mercedes. So hard to choose, oh my gosh!

    So congratz on your granddad's birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a Mercedes? Hahahaha it does feel like that!! Especially on clothing you'll only wear once because you have to go to e.g. a party. Too many options also confuses me big time, you can find a reason to use all options you know! hehe

      Thank you for your birthday wishes!! :D He had a lovely day!

      Delete
  6. I love the art/framing store. One of my favorite places to go. We had an awesome book store here in town that sadly closed down. Such a shame. I don't like how people behave when shopping either. There doesn't seem to be respect for personal space at all. Nice post sweet TJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh they closed down?! Such a shame indeed. I love book stores. You never know what's hiding on those shelves and what stories will float your way. So lovely you stopped by even though the code thingy is up again ^_^ xoxo!!

      Delete
  7. I am SO with you on loving those stores, but not having the budget for it. It's so dangerous, especially things with good packaging. I'm a sucker for that. I go in expecting to spend a certain amount, and then walk out thinking, "I better get a second job."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY!! It is rude huh? hehe. I did teach myself to only get what I need, but sometimes...sometimes...I break my own rule. (head desk) *waves*

      Delete

Yay! Thanks so much for leaving a message. I always reply, so do check back okay? Ciao!